My editor of choice, when not using an IDE like NetBeans:
- It’s written in Java so it’s cross platform
- It has a million plug ins that do useful things
- Free, open source.
- It has a nice XML/HTML editing mode that does “code completion” on tags and attributes, and gives you a tree view and validation error list.
- It has syntax coloring for more computer languages than you can shake a Turing Machine at.
- It can even compile and run code from within the editor, so if you don’t have an IDE, you can turn it into a poor-man’s one, or use it for languages that don’t otherwise have an IDE, like Perl.
- It can remotely edit files over [S]FTP.
- There’s CVS integration (…note to self: check for Subversion integration…)
powered by performancing firefox